EQMac.com

Everquest for the Mac discussion
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Very new to EverQuest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:33 pm 

When I was 4 years old I used to watch my sister play a game in first person view with a forest and a castle in the middle and guards at the gate and I remembered a swimming pool (or i thought it was then) and always asked her to go for a swim. (or demanded she go for a swim) and then after she would go out to fight monsters. Big rats and little blueish grey things and there was a big DING!! sound after a while and she would cheer.

About 4 days ago I asked her about it. World of Warcraft reminded me of it somehow and she said.

Oh, you mean EverQuest?

She googled around for me and found out her childhood game still lives. The old purple iMac she had in her room that she played it on died of hard drive sickness a few years ago but she signed me up for a account. It did not work for a few days tell just now and I am alone. My sister went home 2 days ago and it finally worked when I clicked play.

I remember she was a human priest/cleric, so I made one. I am now standing outside that castle I remembered from so long ago.

My in-game name is Bethe, I made a human Cleric and I am really REALLY excited! Only, I am confused, lost =O I have no idea where to go. Are a lot of people online right now? I will be looking around the forums on how to join channels. It is so much different than WoW but it feels very magical. It looks the same as it always did only my screen is better looking.

I do have a question. When I got my account it said 14 and now it says 10. What does that mean?

It is so nice to meet everyone here and I hope we can play together ^^

I have no weapons or anything. I got killed by a man who said he wanted to tell me a story and then I was in front of the castle in the forest. I tried to fight a rat and got killed by a knoll pup. I found the swimming pool and finally realized it is a body of water in the grass covered alleyway =D

Here is where I am (screenshot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm 

Welcome Bethe!

the timer you refer to is most likely the amount of days you have left to play for free. After that there is a monthly subscription payment. If you go to everquest.com and login to the website you can provide credit card information and such if you wish to continue playing!

Welcome to the magical world of Everquest! make sure you type /join alliance when you log in next. That is our serverwide channel and you type /1 <insert text/typing> to talk in it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 pm 

Thank you! How much a month is it after ten days? I am logged out for a few minutes well I feed some animals outside but I will be back.

I am not sure my parents will pay for it though :'<

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:08 pm 

lol, great story. Welcome to the server!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 pm 

That story sounds pretty similar to when i started so long ago lol. Nice to see new faces around.
"/tell Zelius" in game and i'm sure I have a few things that will help you in your leveling. See ya in game!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:17 am 

Hello, great to see new faces, I am foxmulder lvl 65 necromancer in the horde, please catch me in game and I would be more then happy to show u the ropes. I should be logged on today around 3:30eastern time. Oh, and don't worry I was as lost as u when I started bug I promise it gets better! my gf will be getting a Mac and trying the game out in December so u will not be the only new person on the server! Can't wait to see u in game :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm 

Hello, Bethe. It's nice to see a new player!

You'll find lots of helpful people on this server.

One of the differences between EverQuest and WoW is that EverQuest is a much more social game. The game is designed so that you have to play with other people -- it's very difficult for one person alone to do very well. If you're used to playing solo in WoW, you might miss that. However, if you like to make friends, this is a fabulous game for you.

Some useful commands:

/who
/who all sinnder

The first one just says who is in your zone. The second tells you who in the entire world (the "all" part named Sinnder is online). That's how you'd find me :-)

/tell sinnder Hi there

This will send me a private message (if i'm logged in). You can just type a "t" and it'll automatically do /tell for you and be ready for you to type my name. If we've been chatting, you can type an "r" and it'll set you up to reply to the last person you talked to.

/join alliance

This will join a chat channel called alliance.

/1 Hey everyone

When you did /join alliance it became channel #1 -- so you can now do /1 to send messages to that channel.

Hope to see you around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:12 pm 

Thank you everyone! ^^

I would loot my corpse from where I died but I wondered so far between last night and this morning that i am not sure I will be able to find my way back there any time soon >.<

I will be booting up again in a few though =D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 pm 

Hey Beth Welcome! I'm kinda new to the Server too. Let me know if you need help with anything just /t sowen.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm 

Beth,

If I recall correctly you don't lose any experience by dying through the first 9 levels. I forget if you have to get to the corpse to reclaim your equipment too, but I am sure many people can help you obtain it rather easily if that is the case.

When you hit level 10, you lose experience for each death and will have to return to your corpse to reclaim your items you had on your character when you died.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:52 pm 

Don't have to get corpse till after lvl 5 I believe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:52 pm 

Don't have to get corpse till after lvl 5 I believe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:28 am 

Welcome to Norrath Bethe! Always nice to see a new face.

Enjoy your stay, and if you have any questions or need help with something please ask.
Especially if you need help with a corpse run!

/tell Katynar

And I can help you get your corpse with little to no running around looking for it!

Other necros and ShadowKnights can too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:50 am 

Welcome, Bethe.

You can tell your parents (and with a straight face too!) that Everquest on the Mac is not like Those Other Games -- this is a very friendly community which polices itself quite efficiently to make sure everyone plays nice.

You don't have to worry about rescuing your corpse until your reach level 9 (or is it 10?). Until then, every time you wake up after your (ahem) "accident" you will still have all your stuff on you. (After level 9, or 10, your stuff will stay on your corpse and you'll wake up naked: you have to go and fetch the stuff from wherever your dead body is.)

Really, those first few levels are about having fun and getting to know the basics.

Don't let any well-meaning people give you super-powerful stuff. It'll make the low levels ridiculously easy, which will in turn make it hard for you to learn a lot of basic things about Everquest (like figuring out good ways to win battles, or learning when and how to run away).

I hope you have a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Pathfinders of Al'Kabor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:49 pm 

Just bumping this thread of mine to say that I will be logging into EQ. I sent some emails to Mr. Smedley hoping SOE will change there minds. Not sure it will help but I hope it will. It is so sad though because my sister was going to help me pay for a sub here next month because my parents finally gave in and my grades have been top notch.