For an end-game ranger, which bow is best?
I've heard that most rangers on the server use Tynan's spreadsheet to determine this (see viewtopic.php?t=5810
). However, the mechanics of EQLive in 2003 and EQMac in 2012 may be different. I've decided to determine if the values in Tynan's spreadsheet are actually congruent with Al'Kabor instead of just assuming that it is fact. In the tradition of giving back to the community, I'm going to share my results with everyone.
- Each trial is 24+ hours of autofire
- Shooting at Bella Helsin in Katta
- Max AA
- Using Blessed Champion Arrows
- Using Fleeting Quiver
- Worn +170 attack (+180 attack with Stonewood)
- OSX client
- Using iKey autofire
- Parsed with YALP
Sources of error:
1) Bella Helsin is a green-con mob to a 65. This will inflate the reported DPS.
2) Along the same lines, Bella Helsin will never resist a DD proc. This will inflate the reported DPS of the Fire, Air, and TZ bows.
2) I filtered out head shots, so for the purposes of this parse they become a miss instead of a hit. This will deflate the reported DPS.
3) I did not shoot long enough for the results to be statistically significant.
- How long must I shoot to obtain a standard degree of statistical certainty? Not sure how to calculate this.
- After doing two trials of Air, I got 131.76 and 131.26, so the figures can be considered (at the minimum) +- 1 from the actual values.
Results, sorted from best to worst:
1) Air - 131.5 DPS
2) TZ - 128 DPS
3) Earth - 127 DPS
4) Water - 120 DPS
5) Fire - 116 DPS
- This is not the "end-all be-all" parse; I'm simply providing this data for your reference. Each bow may perform differently on a dark blue con XP mob, or a red con raid mob.
- The order is likely accurate since the DPS differential between bows is 3 or more (with the exception of the TZ/Earth bows, which should probably be considered approximately equivalent).
- My ranking is congruent with Tynan's ranking with the exception of the earth and water bows being reversed. I feel that this discovery in particular makes the parse worthwhile, since the earth bow seems to be easier to obtain than the water/fire.